Monday, January 5, 2015

1st Transfer - Mornington

Hello.

So this week was pretty crazy. I got transferred out of the city and am now in the Mornington ward. The area I serve in is on the peninsula on the right hand side of Port Phillip. So there are beaches galore. I was also introduced to the highly ineffective practice of tracting (i.e., door-to-door in neighborhoods). It is easy to see how so many missionaries become disobedient and stop working. I am just so grateful that I had the trainer I did and also that I was able to be raised/trained in the city where it is fast-paced. 

Most people we talk to on the doorsteps are pretty content with where they are and do not like to listen to us when we come knocking. It is hard to get a real conversation going as they are really stand-offish. It is okay, though, and recently while tracting I have been focusing on just testifying of the Book of Mormon while holding it and giving a really brief testimony. That way they will hopefully feel the Spirit, We can give them the Book of Mormon, and we don't make them too irritated. I don't understand why people get so angry when we come by their homes. We are super friendly, not in their face, and only take 5 minutes out of their day, yet they always seem like we are such a nuisance. Oh well, the work must go on. 

The ward here is super friendly and strong. The members are good about feeding us, and are fun to talk too. Mostly, we just spend the days updating the ward list based on our visits of less active members of the church. It is crazy how many people get baptized and then leave the church. It is sad really. 

The computers here are super slow so I'm sorry I could not send a longer e-mail. Hopefully all is well back home. Next week I expect to have more to talk about and more people to teach. Oh yeah...and biking is not all that fun either. With that being said, we are trying to do all that we can to move the work forward and use our time in the best way possible.
 
Love,
Elder Otterson

No comments:

Post a Comment