Sunday, December 7, 2014

A wonderful exchange with the APs...

Hello all,

I love hearing from everyone - it really makes a big difference every week to see your support. The work is still going well down under. I had a lot of cool experiences and also just some fun things to add. I went on a companion exchange with one of the Assistants to the President (AP - one of the leader missionaries reporting directly to the mission president) this week. I was able to learn a lot from him while working with him, but the most growth and learning on my part took place afterwards, during the exchange review. During that time the Spirit and also Elder Woodruff's (the AP) love were able to break down my self-created barriers. You know that I am not really one to open up and I hate being and feeling vulnerable and weak. During that time, though, I was able to really feel the spirit and God's love very strongly. I admit some tears were shed. Thinking back on that experience, I feel that I learned that the Spirit can't really communicate to us when we don't let it, and also the Spirit can only communicate and learn when we come before God as He knows us. I know that doesn't make the best of sense, but I know that what I experienced was real and that it only came because those barriers I had built were torn down even if it was only for a moment.  I was able to feel the Spirit more strongly then than I have in the past for a long time. It is going to take a while to learn and change but that feeling is one that I want with me forever.

So, now for some cool things...There is this tradition here that happens in the winter months called the "Tim Tam Slam." What you do is you buy some Tim Tams (they are these Kit Kat like wafers you can get at Target). You bite off the ends and then stick one end in hot chocolate and suck until the Tim Tam becomes saturated and then you eat the wafer. I recommend it. 

Also there is this cake here that you guys would love. It is called Pavlova and it is unique to New Zealand and Australia. See if you can find it. 

Love,
Elder Otterson

No comments:

Post a Comment